There are 9041 owner complaints spread out over 4 years, but the most belong to the 2002.
This generation ranks 99th in reliability out of 99 overall Ford generations.
This generation has been recalled 24 times. It's also part of 51 investigations and has 549 TSBs.
- transmission transmission failure in the 2002 Explorer at 94465 miles
- transmission transmission slipping, shifts hard in the 2004 Explorer at 74069 miles
- transmission o/d light is blinking in the 2002 Explorer at 110872 miles
- transmission o/d light flashes in the 2003 Explorer at 146528 miles
- body / paint cracked panel below the rear window in the 2002 Explorer at 85885 miles
- transmission enclosed transmission had to be overhauled in the 2002 Explorer at 88967 miles